Rusty color is often used to give a surface of a specifically attractive appearance. Get this shade will help paint under rust. There are also options for obtaining natural rust or its imitation. The methods of obtaining a surface "under rust" will be discussed in this article.
- metal Corrosion of metal
- Copper-acid solution
- Mixture of bleach and vinegar
- Other rusting options
- Simulation of rust
- Rust effect on wood
Rusty shade is formed by mixing red, yellow and brown pigments. You can also add a bit of blue - this will give the coating a brightness and depth.
There is a natural pigment, which without any mixing of different colors makes it possible to get a rusty shade. This pigment is called ocher( another name is iron wax), which is a mixture of clay and iron oxide hydrate.
Natural ocher is not an independent kind of paints. This is only a component, which is added in some or other quantities to paintwork materials( paints, enamels) and primers. In addition to this component, other substances are present in the paints.
Pigment has the following characteristics:
- hiding power - from 60 to 80 grams per square meter;
- oil consumption - from 25 to 35 grams per 100 grams of substance;
- PH of water extract - from 7 to 8.
Ocher is characterized by its resistance to aggressive chemicals( organic solvents, acids, alkalis), as well as resistance to light and moisture.
Corrosion of metal
In this part of the article we will tell you how to make rust by accelerating corrosive processes. This can be done through a chemical reaction that will provoke rapid rusting of the material.
It should be borne in mind that corrosion only develops in metals that contain iron. However, even in this case, not all iron-containing metals can be easily rusted. For example, do not contact chrome alloys or stainless steel. But ordinary steel and cast iron rust very quickly.
To conduct a chemical reaction, you will need to make a copper-acid solution. A mixture of bleach and vinegar is also effective.
The chemical solution is prepared as follows:
- Add to the dishes 50-60 milliliters of hydrochloric acid.
- We put copper into the acid( it can be any copper part).In this case, we cover the dishes, and do not close tightly, since the gases formed during the chemical reaction must go out. After about a week, the output will produce a copper-acid solution that accelerates the rusting of the metal.
- Remove copper from the solution and add water to the container, proceeding from the proportion of 50 to 1.
- Remove metal traces of paint and clean the surface with a soap solution.
- We work the surface with a solution with a brush or spray.
- After application of the acid, the surface must dry.
- After 60-90 minutes, a noticeable rust is formed on the surface.
Please note! A solution of hydrochloric acid should not be washed off, so it will evaporate in any case after some time.
Blend of bleach and vinegar
This method is best used for rusting materials with the addition of tin. In this case, there is an important clarification: the metal must not be primed or sealed before applying the solution.
- Mix one share of vinegar with two parts of bleach.
- Put the metal in the dishes in such a way as to completely hide it in the solution. Waiting for 30 minutes before the appearance of corrosion.
- Wipe the metal with a rag.
- We are waiting for the material to dry completely, and until then do not touch it, so as not to get damaged skin.
- To rust firmly "took" with the metal, we ground the surface.
Other rusting options
To provoke corrosion with hydrogen peroxide and salt, proceed as follows:
- Add a little peroxide to the dishes.
- Apply the solution to the metal. It is more preferable to treat the surface from the spray gun - it's more convenient.
- While the surface is wet, sprinkle it with table salt. Rust will begin almost immediately. And the rate of development of the reaction depends on the amount of precipitated salt.
- After this, we place the material into fresh air. Do not touch the metal until it is completely dry: thanks to this, avoid uneven coating.
Another way to form a rusty metal color is to treat the metal with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide:
- Peel the metal from the paint.
- Apply peroxide with a sprayer.
- Wet the metal with vinegar.
- Waiting for a few hours to cause corrosion.
And, finally, the metal can be rusted with lemon-salt solution:
- For 1 share of table salt we take 4 parts of lemon juice.
- Apply the solution to a clean surface. After a while, rust will appear.
Simulation of rust
Rusty color can be obtained without paint and without changing the properties of the metal. Moreover, it is possible to impart a rusty appearance to both metal and other materials, in particular wood.
In this case, a film of rusty color must be applied to the surface of the material. To do this, do the following:
- Remove fat from the surface of the metal with alcohol.
- Make a film fitting to the material.
- Lightly wet the surface of the spray gun.
- Separate the film from the substrate.
- We paste first the middle part of the roll, and then align the edges.
- Dry the surface with a hair dryer.
Rust effect on wood
It is possible to simulate corrosion marks on wood as well. Especially often this effect is used on furniture items.
The following components are required:
- paint( two varieties);
One kind of paint should have a rusty color( based on ocher).Another paint is basic, since its color should be combined with the general background of the room.
Prior to painting, we clean the surface of defects and traces of paint. After stripping, you can apply a coat of varnish( optional).After that, we put a layer of "rusty" paint and wait for the surface to dry. While the coating has not hardened, we treat it with salt.
Next, we put the main paint and again wait until the surface dries. We remove the salt with sandpaper with fine grains. We finish the work by applying a protective layer of varnish.
So, it's possible to give the surface a "rust" appearance in a variety of ways. Which one to choose depends on the task, the type of material and the means at hand.