How to make an old, lost market appearance, but still a good plastic thing again beautiful? Experienced decorators will prompt only one option - paint in any color suitable for interior design. And for the convenience of work advise aerosol paint for plastic. What is convenient for these paints and where can they be used?
- Characteristics of dyes for plastic surfaces
- Advantages and disadvantages of spraying
- Areas of application
- Tools needed for decorating
- Preparing for painting
- How to properly operate the
- dye bottle Useful tricks
Characteristics of dyes for plastic surfaces
Aerosol sprays for plastic painting are popularmost decorators because of the ease of use. The following types of enamel are produced in cans:
- Polymer, which combines the functions of a primer and a dye. Polymer plastic paints are characterized by high adhesion and do not require a preliminary primer layer.
- Resistant to damage. These are particularly strong compounds, in the manufacture of which polyurethane additives and acrylates are used. This kind of enamel is used for surfaces exposed to high mechanical stress.
- Structural. Such dyes on drying give a beautiful, slightly rough surface, hiding the small defects that have arisen on the plastic. The use of structural paints allows you to create an original decor.
- Soft touch. Coloring composition, allowing to get a velvety to the touch surface. The items decorated with this kind of enamel create a feeling of softness and comfort.
- Monad, designed for PVC plastic. Good adhesion to the substrate, resistant to ultraviolet light.
Such a wide range of compositions for painting allows you to pick up an aerosol preparation that is suitable for a certain type of plastic.
Advantages and disadvantages of
sprays Aerosol enamels are in great demand, because they have the following advantages:
- They do not require additional painting tools.
- Convenient and easy to use( even a beginner can cope with spraying the spray spray).
- Give a nice smooth layer of sputtering.
- Storage does not require special conditions. Even the remains of unused aerosol paint are protected from drying, and they can be stored for a long time.
- Suitable for creating decorative design, and for uniform coloring.
- Have a large color palette and allow you to simulate the structure of various materials( wood, metal).
- The bright color of the paint is not subject to fading and retains its novelty for a long time.
- Economical consumption. One bottle of paint is enough for a long time.
But, like every product, aerosol dyes for plastic have their drawbacks. These include:
- No possibility of tinting. But this drawback is conditional, because the color range of the coloring spray for plastic is very high, and you can easily find the right shade. If you need a complex color, the colourners will create it, and filling the can with paint - this service is available in most shops selling aerosol dyes.
- If the master is inexperienced, the paint can form streaks on smooth plastic. Beginners, before proceeding to color the product, it is recommended to practice on an unnecessary piece of plastic having a similar structure.
- Wide area of spraying. If it is planned to paint only a small area, it is necessary to cover areas that can not be painted with paint tape.
- The density of the enamel is not regulated, it is necessary to work with the consistency of the solution that is filled in a can.
- The need for large areas to buy a large number of cylinders at once.
- For outdoor work, it is necessary to wait for warm, windless weather.
Despite the small flaws in aerosol formulations, craftsmen often use them to decorate plastic surfaces.
Areas of application
Aerosols for plastic products are used for:
- restorations of lost their presentation;
- interior decoration;
- gives the product additional strength properties( resistance to abrasion, increased moisture resistance).
Easy-to-use coloring sprays allow you to work with a small skill quickly and economically.
Tools needed for decorating
Although it's easy and easy to paint with aerosols and this method allows you to do without paint tools, you still need to prepare the following:
- "skin" of fine grain;
- water, detergent and soft cloth;
- covering material;
- degreaser( white spirit or other alcohol-containing solvent);
- primer( for some types of plastic surfaces);
- gloves, goggles and respirator.
If the object to be painted is heavily scratched or dents are present, it is additionally recommended that you stock up the plastic filler.
Preparation for painting
For beginners, the process of working with an aerosol dispenser may seem difficult, but exact adherence to all stages will help to succeed. Before you start painting, you need to prepare the surface of the product. To do this, perform the following:
- Clean the product. To the end result pleased with the beauty and durability, it is necessary to thoroughly wash the surface with water with the addition of detergent, deep soiling can be washed with a hard brush. Do not be afraid to scratch the surface of the plastic: further grinding and applying the enamel will make the surface even. But if the dirt is not completely removed, the paint will lie unevenly and soon begin to bubble or crack. After the thing has been cleaned, it must be rinsed with clean water to remove any detergent residue and dry it well.
- Grinding. All small irregularities are smoothed out using a fine-grained "skins".If the product has large cracks or dents, it is recommended to level them before grinding, using plastic putty.
- Degreasing. Different grease stains worsen the adhesion of the enamel to the substrate, so they must be removed using degreasing agents. Alcohol-containing degreasers do not have to be washed off, but other solvents must be removed by rinsing the product with clean water and drying.
- Priming. This stage is not mandatory for all types of plastic. How to determine the need for priming? Put the plastic thing in a large container of water: if it is drowned, then the priming process can be skipped. In the event that there is doubt about the need for a primer, it is better to apply the primer. Additional priming will promote a stronger adhesion of the enamel to the substrate.
After drying the primer, you can start applying the paint.
How to operate the
cylinder correctly The paint in aerosol cans, when sprayed, forms a fine suspension in the air, which settles not only on the object to be painted, but on other surfaces. In addition, fine paint particles can get into the eyes or into the respiratory tract. To avoid this, you need to do the following:
- Covering material( for this purpose you can use polyethylene film, cardboard, old cloth, etc.) to close all areas that are not intended for painting. Bottlenecks, which do not need to be painted, covered with paint tape.
- Wear protective goggles, a respirator and gloves.
After such preparation it is possible to paint. Do this as follows:
- If the painted thing has a small size, then to improve the quality of the color, it is better to place it on the horizontal surface covered with a covering material.
- Balloon with enamel shake for 30-40 seconds to mix the dye.
- Remove the cap and the first, trial, jet of paint to release on an unnecessary basis, for example, on a piece of cardboard. This is necessary because air can accumulate in the nebulizer, and the first pieces of enamel will fly out with uneven "spittles".After the dye begins to leave the balloon evenly, you can begin to paint plastic.
- When spraying, move the hand with aerosol smoothly, without delaying in one place. Long spraying of one area leads to the formation of enamel flows. Aerosol should be kept at a distance of 20-30 cm from the surface to be painted.
- After staining, allow the first layer to dry( about 20-30 minutes) and paint again. If necessary, apply the third and subsequent layers.
Despite the fact that the dye solutions for plastic dry quickly, it is recommended to start using the product only after 24 hours. During this time, the final polymerization of the coloring agent will take place, and the decorative layer will become durable.
Useful tricks of
For painting to be of high quality, professional masters recommend:
- To buy cylinders with interchangeable tips, which make it possible to adjust the width of the stream of the coloring material.
- Apply a new layer only after the previous one has dried.
- If the product is to be used frequently, it is recommended to apply more layers.
Observance of these small tricks and strict adherence to all stages of painting guarantees an excellent result.
It is very convenient to use aerosols for painting plastic products. If you choose the type of coloring material in accordance with the purpose of the thing and the type of plastic, the item will be pleasant for a long time with its beautiful appearance.