- 1 Pallet Bench Ideas
2 What tools and materials will be required
- 2.1 Which pallets are better to use
- 2.2 How to prepare pallets
- 3 How to make a do-it-yourself pallet bench
- 4 How to make a bench with a back from pallets with your own hands
- 5 How to make a corner bench from pallets with your own hands
- 6 Conclusion
A do-it-yourself pallet bench can harmoniously decorate any summer cottage or garden. To make a simple structure, ordinary wooden pallets are used. Benches made of such materials will not require large financial costs. To give the benches beauty, the products are polished. Additionally coated with varnish or special paint.
Pallet Bench Ideas
Pallet benches are considered universal furniture.
Pallet benches can be used not only outdoors, but also indoors.
For a large area, you can make not a simple version of furniture, but a corner
To obtain a long bench, several pallets are connected. To make the furniture more mobile, castors are screwed to the legs.
On the side of the bench, you can make a table from a pallet for various items
For comfortable outdoor recreation, pallet benches can be made with a canopy with your own hands. This design is somewhat similar to a chaise longue.
A bench for two people can be hung on a chain and you get a swing from pallets
In the garage, benches can be used as shelves or tables.
Advice! To make it comfortable to sit on hand-made pallet furniture, it can be covered with soft bedding and small pillows.
On the sides of the bench, you can make functional drawers for storing various small things
To give the pallets the effect of an antique wood, a nylon brush installed on a grinder is passed over the painted elements of furniture. Thanks to the scuffs obtained, do-it-yourself pallet benches will take on an interesting look.
What tools and materials will be required
To make benches from pallets, it is recommended to prepare the following tools:
- saw or jigsaw;
- screwdriver with self-tapping screws;
- primer, varnish or paint;
- screws, metal hinges, corners.
You will also need pallets. You can take both new and used pallets.
Which pallets are better to use
For making benches with your own hands, it is recommended to use foreign materials. When choosing pallets, you should study their markings and pay attention to the smell.
There are pallets treated with toxic impregnation that cannot be used to create furniture.
Attention! Pallets should not be taken from grocery stores, as they are saturated with all kinds of aromas. It is impossible to eliminate the unpleasant odor.
In order for the wood to serve for a long time, it periodically needs to be processed with special means, to grind irregularities.
How to prepare pallets
Before making a pallet bench with your own hands, it is important to prepare them correctly. It is recommended to use dry wooden elements. Stains or other contaminants are removed with sandpaper. You can also remove irregularities and large dirty areas with a grinder.
When choosing a pallet, be sure to see if there is a sign on it indicating the environmental friendliness of the material.
If you want to get a shiny shop, all pallets are sanded and varnished before joining. To obtain furniture with a smooth surface, the pallets are preliminarily passed with a grinder.
How to make a do-it-yourself pallet bench
Before making pallet benches with your own hands, it is important to decide what kind of appearance the furniture will have. You can create your own sketch or use ready-made ones by finding information on the Internet.
To make a drawing, they take pencils, paper and a ruler. Determined with the optimal height, number of legs, seat depth.
General rules that are observed when drawing a sketch of a bench:
- width 52 - 55 cm;
- height - more than 50 cm.
In order for a do-it-yourself pallet bench to be comfortable, it is important to observe the proportions between all the details of the product.
When developing a circuit, it is worth listening to the following recommendations:
- The back of the bench should be of a standard size of about 50 cm.
- It is also worth considering a way to fix the back to the bench. In this case, it is necessary to take into account whether the structure will be portable or stationary. In the second version, the legs are buried in the ground. In such a situation, the back can be secured in any way.
- Thanks to a pre-drawn up drawing, you can determine how much material is required and what kind. When using wooden pallets, it is important to bevel the inner base of the legs. This technique will prevent the accumulation of liquid at the bottom of the benches and its damage. The diagram must indicate the dimensions of each element and the values of the angles of their joining.
- It is important to choose pallets without flaws, be sure to dry them well before use.
Standard pallet size: 800x1200 mm. Therefore, for a long shop, you will need to take two such parts. Legs with armrests can be made from two pallets.
For a comfortable stay in a country house, you can make different versions of benches with your own hands.
Step-by-step instructions for making a pallet bench:
- First, pallets with whole boards, several wooden blocks and self-tapping screws are prepared.
- The pallet is sawn in two along the planks. In this case, one side should have six support bars. She will act as a seat. And the part with three support bars will be the back. It is attached to the seat and fixed with self-tapping screws.
- The back and bench are reinforced with boards and screws on the sides.
- At this stage, the surface of the product is sanded, removing burrs and roughness. Grinding is performed with sandpaper or a sander.
- Four identical bars are attached to a smooth bench. The legs are attached to the seat base with self-tapping screws.
If desired, a ready-made do-it-yourself bench is painted with acrylic paint, covered with stain and transparent varnish.
Algorithm for creating an original do-it-yourself bench for a country house:
- At the first stage, a frame is made. A simple rectangle of boards is formed as the main frame. After fastening all the elements with self-tapping screws, the back is sawn off at an angle and fixed on a rectangular base.
- At the second stage, the legs and supports are attached. After installation, a crossbar and short legs are installed in the middle of the frame for support.
- At the third stage, a seat with a back and armrests is attached. Having laid out all the details of the shop, they are adjusted according to a previously drawn up sketch and screwed to the back with screws.
- In the fourth step, sanding is performed and stain is applied. After drying, the varnish is applied in three layers and allowed to dry for 24 hours.
Thanks to the lacquer coating, the bench will be reliably protected from the influence of ultraviolet radiation, precipitation, temperature extremes.
So that the varnish does not prematurely crack and the tree does not begin to deteriorate, it is recommended to bring wooden benches into the room for the winter.
How to make a bench with a back from pallets with your own hands
For a comfortable sitting on a bench, they came up with backrests. This design allows you to sit comfortably on the furniture and have a good rest.
You can make a do-it-yourself bench with the back of a pallet bench as follows:
- First, the pallets are disassembled, the nails are carefully removed in the right places.
- The pallet is sawn in two to create a wide and narrow surface for the seat and back.
- The surface of a wooden product is processed with a grinding machine to eliminate roughness and curvature. Only the top part can be sanded.
- All workpieces are checked for grinding quality. If necessary, repeat the procedure.
- The seat and backrest are connected with screws. The halves of the bench are combined and tightened tightly with self-tapping screws.
- For the manufacture of legs, not high, but wide bars are used. They are attached from below using metal corners. This design will be more stable and reliable.
- In order for a bench with a back of pallets to serve for a long time with its own hands, the finished furniture is painted or varnished on top.
To make the bench more comfortable to use, it can be supplemented with armrests, soft mats or small bright cushions. For beauty, you can use decorative drawings, and make artistic elements on the legs.
So that several people can sit at the same time, the back and the seat are fastened with double slats
How to make a corner bench from pallets with your own hands
To get an angular design, first draw a drawing of a pallet bench. Indicates the approximate size and location of all elements.
Do-it-yourself corner bench from pallets step-by-step photo and manufacturing algorithm:
- First, select and prepare the required number of pallets.
- At the second stage, the boards are sanded.
- Pallets are laid out according to the drawn diagram and the height is checked.
- The wood is impregnated with a product intended for wood. Use a dark color.
- A five-millimeter wire of a waterproof LED is attached to the bottom of the corner bench.
- On the bench seat, mattresses and lining fabric are laid out to make it comfortable to sit.
Ready-made corner furniture from pallets with your own hands can be decorated with capes, decorative pillows
A do-it-yourself pallet bench looks interesting and original. Such furniture is made from new or used pallets. It is important that they are not treated with harmful substances. For long-term use, finished benches are covered with special protective agents for wooden products.