Water-dispersion paint is a finishing material, which is often used for painting facades and indoor surfaces. It is rightfully considered to be the most reliable and durable material, besides being environmentally friendly and of high quality. All these properties have contributed to the fact that this material takes pride of place in the list of colors. What is water-dispersive different from other paints?
Water dispersion paint is a product with polymers. Most often their role is played by tar or oil. The solvent for them is water. This feature makes the dye safe in terms of ecology and resistance to high temperatures( fire safety).
According to the name, the substance consists of a large number of solid particles that are in a liquid medium( dispersion).After application to the working surface, this medium( water) evaporates, leaving a strong, resistant to different kinds of impact coating.
Almost always, water-dispersion paints are a thick substance that needs to be diluted with water. They are white or colored. The number of shades is measured in tens.
What is included in the water-based dispersion paints:
- Substances that give a protective film on the surface. They are considered the main ingredient. They strongly depend on the quality of the paint and the life of the coating.
- Color pigments. Give the material a certain shade.
- Fillers. Can have natural or synthetic origin. These substances are responsible for the properties of the dye. These include talc, marble chips, etc.
- Additives. These components give the material additional properties, for example, increase the drying speed.
All tools of this type are divided into three groups. They are distinguished by their main component or binding agent, as well as technical characteristics.
Water-dispersible polyvinyl acetate contains the main substance - polyvinyl acetate. This is the so-called PVA paint. They have a low resistance to moisture, so they are not used in rooms with a high level of humidity or for the decoration of facades. Dyes of this type are used for painting on wallpaper, like paint for radiators, for wood and other surfaces located inside the building. It can be houses or offices.
Water-dispersion latex paint is a substance made on the basis of latex. Has a lot of advantages:
- Forms a strong and reliable coating, which is not afraid of moisture and external impact. Latex paint can be used in damp areas, for example, in the bathroom or basement.
- The resulting washable surface is resistant to the effects of household chemicals and disinfectants.
The only drawback of the coating, which creates latex paint - over time it burns out under the influence of sunlight. Therefore, it is advisable to use latex paint to treat walls inside the room.
Another type of water-dispersion dyes is acrylic paint. This universal finishing material is used for interior works and as a facade paint. Coating for a long time does not lose its attractive appearance, it is resistant to moisture, it gives the surface an opportunity to breathe, thus preventing the appearance of mold. The coating does not crack and perfectly tolerates mechanical stress. The paint consumption is much less than using other varieties. This is due to its elasticity and good adhesion to the working surface.
As you know, the quality of any material directly depends on its characteristics. For the water-dispersion solution there are only five:
- Whiteness. Usually the dispersion façade or interior moisture resistant paint is white. They get the shade before work starts. The whiter the dye from the very beginning, the brighter and more saturated the shade will be after adding the pigment. Titanium dioxide is responsible for whiteness. The more qualitative this substance is, the whiter the shade of the material.
- Hiding power. This is the parameter on which the paint consumption depends directly. The ideal option is the situation when 1 liter of dye weighs 1.5 kg. If the density is lower, a lot of water was added, and if higher, this indicates an excess of filler. And in that, in another case the hiding power falls.
- Resistance to moisture. From this characteristic, the sphere of use of the dye depends. It shows whether it is possible to use the material only for interior work, for example, as a paint for the ceiling, or it is suitable for facades. Among all types of paints, polyvinyl acetate formulations are considered to be the least moisture resistant. The rest will easily carry the wash even with the use of detergents.
- Resistant to light and direct sunlight. How long can the coating retain its original appearance if it is in the sun? It depends on what substance is the basis. If it is polyvinyl acetate, the coating will not practically burn out. Latex based solutions are best used in darker rooms, for example, in the hallway.
- From the resistance to mechanical stress, it depends on how long it will last.
For each type of finish, you should choose a suitable variety. For example, a dye based on latex is suitable for a corridor or basements. It burns out under the influence of the sun, but it creates a strong coating. Water-dispersive acrylic paint for interior work can be used even in wet or damp areas. It is suitable for work outside the building.
Advantages and disadvantages
Water-dispersed paint for walls and ceilings, for wood and radiators, for indoor and outdoor works has many advantages. Here are some of them:
- Absolute safety and environmental friendliness. This is achieved due to the fact that ordinary water is used as the solvent.
- No unpleasant odors.
- Easy to use. You do not need to have any special skills to paint the surface. For application, you can use a brush or roller.
- These paints are not flammable. This explains their fire safety.
- Mold and fungus do not appear on the surface. This is evidence that the coating "breathes".
- The service life of the coating is approximately 15 years. In this case, it will not peel, crack and swell.
- To get one coat of paint completely dry, it takes only a couple of hours.
- The coating is resistant to mechanical damage.
- Affordable price.
- Excellent resistance to moisture. This is especially good for a wooden surface. The film created by the paint will be a reliable protection.
- has a certificate of compliance with all necessary requirements.
Despite all the advantages, similar dyes have several drawbacks:
- The quality of the coating depends on the weather. It is not recommended to perform work during precipitation or in cold weather. If it rains, the solvent( water) will not evaporate. In the heat, you also do not need to work. The surface will dry out too quickly, impairing the quality of the coating.
- The work surface must be prepared. It is important that it is perfectly even. A thin layer of dye can not hide flaws.
- Price may be higher than those in paints using other solvents.
How to properly paint
How to use water-dispersive dyes correctly? For example, you can take the process of painting walls in the room:
- To begin with, the paint must be mixed thoroughly.
- If the surface is painted for the first time, a primer is first applied to it.
- If necessary, the paint can be given the desired shade. To do this, you need to mix it with a special pigment.
- Work should start from the window. The first layer should lie parallel to it.
- Apply paint with a brush or roller. The layers can be from 1 to 3. Their number depends on what state the surface was originally from. Drying of each layer takes about 4 hours.
Approximately 140-180 g of paint are used for painting 1 m2 of surface. Consumption is the same when using both roller and brush.
Experts advise the first layer to be applied with a brush, and the second with a roller. In this case, the coating is smooth and uniform.
The right choice of
How to choose a good water-dispersion paint? It is necessary to pay attention to several factors:
- scope of use;
- type of work( internal or external);
- certificate of conformity and quality;
- expiration date;
- storage rules.
It is important that the seller can produce a certificate of conformity and quality. This is the only way to make sure that the paint meets all the requirements for it.
Water-dispersible dyes are an excellent solution for interior and exterior finishing works. The coating created with a roller or brush will protect the surface from moisture, mold and mechanical influences.