Before answering the question, how many hours the primer dries after the treatment of the walls, it is necessary to take into account several points. The solution dries differently depending on the composition and climatic conditions of the room. Sometimes the speed of the material can be affected by the type of materials of the surface being treated. Priming is a necessary stage of intermediate construction and finishing works. On the primed surface, the following material falls much better than on impregnated.
- Primer formulations and setting period
- What affects the setting speed of the
impregnation Typically, the complete drying time is indicated in the technical data of the specific product. It also contains information on the conditions under which this should occur:
- whether to ventilate the room or, conversely, to protect the room from drafts;
- whether it is possible to use technical devices to speed up the process or whether natural environmental conditions are required;
- what should be the operating temperature and humidity in the room.
Subsequent work can only be started after complete drying. However, some materials provide an opportunity to proceed to the next stage of wall finishing, just a few hours after applying the primer.
Drying time is very important. After all, if the requirements are not met, it can significantly reduce the properties of materials and affect the quality of the finish. What primers are used for the composition of the walls, and what is the time of their drying, we'll talk about this.
Compositions of primers and the period of their setting
Let's try to answer the question how much the primer material dries on the walls, through the peculiarities of the composition of the mixture.
- Acrylic deep-penetrating primers. Used to strengthen the strength of the foundation of walls made of mineral materials. The liquid penetrates a few millimeters deep, and after polymerization forms a very strong coating with good adhesive properties. How much dries so much impregnation? Sometimes even half a day. But experts advise to withstand not less than a day.
- "Contact" primers, they are also called quartz primers. In its composition contain particles of quartz dust, which enhances the protective properties of the material. Also belong to the category of deep penetrating. How much dries? Depends on the number of layers applied: from 1 hour to 6.
- Soils on a mineral basis are well absorbed into the base and quickly set. They are used for primary rapid roughing of stone-concrete and brick walls.
- Alkyd primers are used for wood and metal work. One of the important properties is protection against rust. Often used as a paint on metal surfaces. How much to wait? Half a day, not less.
- Quick-drying: drying in a few minutes. If multilayer treatment is performed - 4 hours, maximum 6.
- Shellac on alcohol-containing solvents is more often used for wood processing. The volatility of the solvent accelerates the process of setting the solution. But it is better to wait out the night, and further finishing( painting, pasting, plastering) to deal with in the morning.
- The oil primer mixture dries after application for a long time: half a day, or even all day.
- It takes a long time to wait, when the water-based impregnation will dry out. Under normal conditions, water does not differ in the rate of evaporation, so water-soluble primer mixtures, although not odorless, but how much dry!
By the way, some types of primer mixes are used as a paint. They already contain a pigment or you can apply tinting. The most demanded materials for temporary painting( protection) of metal structures and to enhance the color saturation of the finish coating.
More precise drying times can be found in the instructions. Or to sustain to the maximum, so that surely. Before you start working with putty, glue wallpaper or paint, gently touch your hand. Ready for further work, the surface of the walls to the touch should be dry, do not stick, do not differ in temperature from unprimed surfaces.
What affects the setting speed of theimpregnation
As mentioned, the process of polymerization and uniformity of setting can be influenced by changes in room temperature, the presence of drafts or the imparting of "acceleration".So in warm rooms with an air temperature of more than + 25 °, the impregnation dries quickly enough. It should also take into account the humidity of the air, because at rates above 65% this process will last two or even three times longer.
Drying time also depends on the type of impregnation before which further finishing work has been carried out.
- Before priming the wallpaper, the primer layer must dry thoroughly.
- Before the puttying or plastering of the walls, you should also wait for the complete drying of the primer. Otherwise, the solution falls off poorly, and after a while starts to flake off.
- But on the putty and plaster, the waiting time can depend on both the environmental conditions and the composition of the material. On cement-sandy plaster impregnation under good conditions will dry for 2-3 hours, while not necessarily waiting for the final setting. On cement-lime it will take 4-6 hours. On the putty the same primer mixture is applied well and quickly absorbed. And yet experts do not advise to hurry with further actions: wait a maximum of half a day.
- If you want to paint a primed surface, here it is necessary to consider the following. Fresh paint will not cause the old coating to peel off if the surface is primed and allowed to dry. You can paint and plastered walls, here, too, will require priming in several layers. And each subsequent layer is applied only after the previous one has dried completely. On the primed surface, the paint falls well, without divorce. In addition, this reduces the consumption of finishing paint materials.
In any case, before using any of the building and finishing materials, you need to carefully study the technical specifications and the permissible conditions of use. The answer to the question of how long to wait for impregnation to dry out depends on many factors. And most of them we tried to illuminate.