Over time, the tile fades and loses its former beauty. Since making repairs is not always possible, updating the coating will help the tile paint. You can transform any type of tile, but it is important to remember that the paint for tiles in the bathroom must have strength and moisture resistance.
- 1 Staining purposes
- 2 Suitable types of paint
- 3 Preparatory work
- 4 Painting technology
- 5 Protection for a new coating
6 Design variations
- 6.1 How to paint a tile (2 videos)
6.2 Paint of different manufacturers and types (20 photos)
- 6.2.1 Recommended reading:
The choice of paint for tiles should be approached with all seriousness, since the quality and beauty of the new design will depend on this. Therefore, before buying, it is recommended to consult with a specialist who will tell you what coverage will be optimal for a particular room.
The choice of coating largely depends on the reason the owner wants to change the design. Goals may be of the following nature:
- Aesthetic considerations - The old tile laid in the kitchen or in the bathroom looks unpresentable or faded. If there is no money for a new tile, ceramic tile paint comes to the rescue.
- For waterproofing - the paint will reliably protect the floor or wall covering from moisture and ensure complete tightness of the joints.
- Style change - radically changing the interior will help painting the floor or wall tiles, while emphasizing the general palette of existing shades, you can also add new elements.
- Dressing - the ability to create various images, unobtrusive patterns and ornaments.
- Repairs - if the headset and interior items are updated, it is not necessary to change the tile. The coating can be simply painted.
If the tile has a beautiful appearance, it makes sense to use hermetic grout for joints, after removing the old one. It is also worth remembering that even the most durable coatings under the influence of temperature changes and high humidity still peel off over time.
Suitable types of paint
When applying ordinary paint, the coating will peel off and peel off after a while. There are several types of paint for tiles, which are mainly used in order to update the old coating:
- Latex - has excellent adhesive properties. For dry rooms, it is worth choosing acrylic-latex compounds, rubber paints are suitable for waterproofing. The coating has a high level of wear resistance and waterproofing, is odorless and absolutely harmless to health.
- Epoxy - a more expensive option. Good adhesion, waterproof. The paint is firmly bonded to the coating, does not peel off over time.
- Oil - also suitable, but requires the application of a primer.
- Alkyd Enamels - differ in good adhesion, are used only in dry rooms.
- Stained glass for glass and tile - applied to a smooth, cleaned surface, without prior preparation. Having a high cost, it is used mainly for decorative purposes to create a beautiful pattern.
- Polyurethane - it is steady against temperature differences and humidity, do not exfoliate and are wearproof.
The primer for applying epoxy and polyurethane enamels must be based on organic solvents. A water primer is not suitable in this case.
In the video: the use of stained glass paints to cover tiles.
First of all, you need to prepare the following tools:
- hard bristle brush;
- cleaning agents;
- primer mixture;
- roller, brushes of different sizes;
- paint for tiles.
Having decided on the paint for the tile, you need to perform several preparatory work, including:
- Removing splashes, dust and limescale from tiles. For this purpose, an abrasive powder or an acid detergent that will perfectly cope with old dirt is suitable.
- Wash off the rest of the detergent composition with a wet rag, then wait until the surface is completely dry.
- Degreasing a tile with acetone or gasoline.
- Sanding the surface for better adhesion of the paint with a glossy surface.
- Dust removal with a dry rag or vacuum cleaner.
- Primer surface.
- Sealing the joints with putty.
First of all, it is necessary to clean the seams, since it is in this place that the largest amount of dirt accumulates. If improperly cleaned after painting, mold, fungus and other microorganisms may appear in these areas.
To avoid many problems and inconveniences when painting tiles in the bathroom, experts advise painting only those walls that do not come in contact with water. On the rest of the surface it is better to apply a decorative pattern.
For painting on a ceramic tile, paint should be applied in 2 layers. In this case, the second is applied only after the first has completely dried. Re-painting is carried out strictly in the perpendicular direction.
If you need to diversify the surface with an ornament or with different lines, you can use a masking tape that glues only after applying a base coat of paint. After complete drying, the masking tape is easily removed.
Painting is best done using a foam roller, which will quickly paint a large area. If the plans include the creation of various patterns, it is better to use ordinary brushes.
If we talk about the bathroom, then its use is better limited for a time until the paint completely dries. Otherwise, the surface may be smeared or damaged, which will cause further development of the fungus, mold, etc.
When buying tiles in the bathroom, you can immediately choose a special tile for painting. This will greatly facilitate further surface painting.
Protection for a new coating
To securely fix the paint, it is recommended to apply the topcoat - a transparent water-based urethane varnish. After complete drying, the composition is applied to the surface in several layers. These manipulations will help to maintain a beautiful and aesthetic appearance of the coating for a long time. Before applying, it is better to check whether the paint is combined with varnish. This can be tested on a piece of plywood sheet or glass.
To date, quite a lot of options for painting granite are presented. Depending on the conceived design and your own imagination, you can realize the most daring and original ideas. There are several types of painting:
- Capital - A complete replacement of the color palette, images and other patterns.
- Revitalizing colors - not wanting to change the overall picture, the shade of the walls and floor can be refreshed and made more saturated. At the same time, restoration of individual fragments in the design is possible.
- Patterning - decorating with an ornament can be carried out both over the entire surface, and individual tiled elements can be selected in fragments.
- Drawings - can be made both on the walls and on the floor. Not bulky images will give the room a special charm. Stencils can also be used.
- Images - painted tiles allows you to realize almost any pattern.
If the bathroom is quite comfortable and you want to add only a few new details, you can use waterproof vinyl stickers, which are presented in many ways.
Painted tiles should not be exposed to excessive water or heat for a long time. When using compositions for coloring and painting, it is worth remembering that they can not be washed with abrasive products and rubbed with a stiff brush.