Each master very much wants to restore the paint to the products smoothly, without divorce and streaks, for a long time kept its freshness, its original beauty. This can be achieved if in the standard scheme of work "surface cleaning - degreasing - priming - painting" add an additional step and degrease before painting the primer itself.
- Why is it necessary to degrease
- The better to use
- How to properly degrease
- Types of degreasers
- Basics of choosing
It is rather difficult to prepare large areas for finishing works without special equipment. But for small items the method is excellent. It is especially good to use it when painting metallic products.
Why do I need to degrease
? If you include this additional step in the preparation scheme before painting, you can improve the finish coating:
- increases the adhesion - enamel, lacquer, paint fall more smoothly, without streaks and stains.
- product retains its attractive appearance for longer, the coating does not exfoliate.
- protective properties of paintwork last longer.
Degreasing the primer layer is to clean the surface as much as possible by removing oil and grease stains from it accidentally, ensuring smooth application of the final layer.
The better to use
This process requires special attention, because the drug that will be treated with a primer before applying the final layer depends on the future appearance, quality characteristics and durability of the coating.
- It is best to degrease approximately what it is supposed to paint, and the product should be in the paint. This will help avoid the "chemical conflict", ensure the most even coloration. For example, if it is supposed to use oil-based dyes, it is better to use turpentine: if it is not completely removed, a small amount will not have any effect on the final result.
- This technique is applicable for all types of paints. It is enough to read the composition of the solvent on the bank and you can safely use it before painting. In this case, you can simply dab the brush in the solvent, walk it across the entire area of the product, allow to dry - and you can paint.
- Before application of varnish, paint, enamel, other final coatings, it is possible to use the means indicated on the bank for dilution, and you can use such universal ones as gasoline, white spirit, acetone.
- For processing after priming of wooden and rubber coatings, gasoline is best suited.
- Primer mixes for metal before painting are better treated with white spirit, kerosene, gasoline, thinner, freon( for stair rails, various fences).
- The stones are good for degreasing with alcohol, technical or medical.
- For primed glass, ammonia, White Spirit is good.
- The plastic is more delicate. For him, only soft neutral chemical compounds are suitable - ordinary solvents can damage not only the applied primer, but also the top layer of the product. It is better to use solutions such as Antisilicone, PiTon.
Most amateur masters to degrease the primed surface, use gasoline, White Spirit, even table vinegar can perfectly suit for this purpose.
This is usually enough. The paint on the treated surface lies flat, does not fray, it lasts a long time.
How to properly degrease
To prepare the surface for painting, it is not enough just to wipe the greasy stain with a cloth soaked in a solvent, as is done when removing fatty stains in the kitchen. Here is a slightly different technique: to soften the fat with a solvent and immediately wipe off all the wool with a clean, clean rag without wax, then pass through the solution for prophylaxis again.
Degreasing agents can be manufactured:
- with special aerosol formulations;
- with usual powders and liquids, often used in everyday life.
For all their methods of removing grease spots the same.
Types of degreasers
There are three types of chemical compositions that provide good degreasing of surfaces before painting:
- Organic carbon: solvent, xylene, kerosene, acetone, trichloromethane, methylene chloride. Very well remove grease stains from the primed surfaces, prophylactically clear them before painting. Disadvantages: fire dangerous, toxic.
- Emulsion: mixtures of organic solvents and water-alkaline solutions with the addition of active substances. Non-combustible, have low toxicity, it is good to use for processing a large area.
- Based on synthetic detergents. Cheap, affordable, safe.
When using emulsion, synthetic surface means before painting, it is necessary to wipe thoroughly with a cotton cloth, to dry.
Basics of choosing
When choosing the necessary tool, you should consider what it will be used for:
- Preventive surface treatment, preparation for painting. In this case, it is sufficient to use synthetic compounds for the high-quality application of the finishing coat.
- Remove grease stains from the product after priming. Here the product is selected depending on the type, degree of contamination. The basis of the choice of degreaser will be its purifying qualities.
When choosing a drug for work, it is necessary to proceed from:
- safety during operation, toxicity;
- efficiency, consider the consumption per 1m²;
When buying a degreaser in the store, you should choose a safe, non-toxic. The modern market can offer many highly effective solvents that do not have a negative impact on the human body.
When working with toxic compounds, use caution, use protective goggles, gloves, respirator.
Primed surfaces should be treated directly before painting. If the painting does not take place immediately, dust may settle on the product, which will significantly reduce the quality of subsequent work, disrupt the uniform distribution of the material, worsen adhesion, and may lead to peeling.
The effectiveness of the treatment can be checked with a drop of water: if it flows freely, then the process has gone right, all the fats have been removed, and you can paint. If it solidifies in place in the form of a ball, the cleaning procedure must be repeated.
Adding an additional stage of degreasing the primed surface before applying the finish coat significantly improves adhesion, improves the quality of work, the product retains a beautiful, fresh appearance for a long time.